Saturday, February 21, 2009

Run Rufus Run!!!

My daughter is an athlete. Here, in South Africa, that means she competes in track and field. Last week she ran the 800m and the first leg of the 400m relay for her school team.
She won both races! 
She didn't get those genes from me - I only run to the fridge during commercials.
Although I love to brag about my little girl - and I am  - I also share this to make a point.
You see, she ran the last lap of her 800m faster than her first lap. She won the race so I am not being critical, yet one must ask - what if she ran faster in the initial lap? To what extent would her time have improved? Better said "did she save too much?"
I'm not asking so much about her race as I am my life . . . 
Am I putting off until tomorrow anything which I could and should be doing today? Is my pace to slow? 
Who do I need to share Jesus with? 
Who do I need to serve?
The questions are limitless, but the point remains - what am I waiting for?
Run father run!

2 comments:

Janna Kay said...

Great thought. I feel like I'm definitely walking.

Bob A said...

Congratulations to Ruth. Good life questions but the alternative perspective is that in most races, the latter stages are faster than the earlier stages. That keeps the athlete from burning out before the end. It's a strategic move. The trick, of course, in racing and in life is to set the right pace for the moment so that you give it your very best but reach the end.