Monday, February 9, 2009

Midmar Mile








I made it into the Guinness Book of World Records!
Last weekend I took part in the largest open water swim since the days of Noah.  Over 16,000 of us swam a mile from one end of the Midmar dam to the other - including 13 olympians!!!
I swam in 41:02 - only the 681st man to finish in my heat - so I am not bragging!  In fact, a 70 year old man swam the mile in under 38 minutes.
I would have finished in the top 500 and broke 40 minutes if I had trained harder.  Truth is, I swam last year and I "knew I cold do it" so I didn't train as hard as I did last year.  I didn't drown but honestly didn't enjoy most of the swim.

As I thought about the swim, I was reminded of Paul's letter to Timothy (1 Timothy 4:7) where his command to Timothy is "train yourself for godliness."
It begs the question - am I training hard enough to be godly?
I have done godly things before so surely I can do them again . . .

I am not suggesting any kind of works righteousness - I know that I am only godly because Christ died for me and lives in me.  But, I am asking the LORD to search me and show me where I need to work harder at godliness.
Like swimming a mile - godliness doesn't just happen.  Like Paul says, we have to train for it.

2 comments:

Tracey Taylor said...

out of 16,000..thats amazing!! You did great..

Anonymous said...

Kurt,
Love your blog.I am renewed by your words,and identify with your thoughts.God Bless you in your work!