Wednesday, October 21, 2009

You're late!
I was honored to be invited to preach at Troyville Baptist Church in Joburg's inner city last Sunday morning.
As I walked into the sanctuary I was told - "we should have started 5 minutes ago." I am highly event orientated so I was deeply hurt . . . but, I have a very good excuse.
As I approached the church (according to my GPS) it was obvious I had to "make a plan." The GPS informed me that I needed to turn left at the end of the street. As I stopped at the stop street (stop sign) I noticed the street to the left was closed. There was a guard rail across the entire street. As I started forward (now looking right - searching for options) my front left tire disappeared and the car came to a crashing halt. I felt as though I rose about a meter in the air. Low and behold - I had driven into a hole (literally a manhole).
It seems as though someone had taken the manhole cover to the scrap yard to sell the metal for cash. Needless to say that left a hole in the middle of the street! The cover is not there but the hole is not missing - I FOUND IT!
Soon after I planted the car a lady walked by and (bless her heart) instead of laughing at me she prayed aloud - "In the name of Jesus - send some men to help get that car out of that hole." Within seconds, literally, before she stopped praying 6-8 big boys came up to the car and lifted the front end out of the hole. Praise the LORD! Since they were there very quickly we were only 5 minutes late to church.

No comments: