Monday, April 20, 2009

Christian

I have been meditating on this text from Acts 11:26 [ESV].

"And in Antioch the disciples were first called Christians."

The ESV Study Bible says this "probably reflects a label applied by the unbelieving public."

Today, the term Christian continues to be given to believers just as it was in the early church. But, I see the title being given exclusively from within the body of Christ, which is substantially different. For a brother in Christ to "observe my life" and say that I am a Christian is gratifying. But, for an unbeliever to "observe my life" and say that I am a Christian is abundantly more gratifying. In fact Matthew 5:16 [ESV] says it gives "glory to [my] Father in heaven."

My goal for 2009 is to have an unbeliever call me a Christian! It is my desire to live as salt and light - so that someone from outside the body of Christ would testify to the fact based on what he observes from my life. To the glory of God!

 

No comments: