Monday, March 16, 2009

Sangomas on my street

On Saturday, as we walked the streets of Soweto, a sangoma passed us on the street. A sangoma is most clearly explained as a witch doctor. When I mentioned the sangoma to Janna Kay the person we were walking with said "they are everywhere." I asked them to clarify the word "everywhere." They pointed to each finger on one hand while naming a name. Then they started over. Finally they said to me there are 8 on my street. I was shocked! Honestly, it took away my breath. I was trying to grasp this so I asked them - how many houses are on your street? After a very short pause they said "20." I am still finding the answer very difficult to understand. 
8 of the 20 houses on this person's street are inhabited by sangomas! That is 40%. 
Can you imagine if almost every other house on your street was home to a witch doctor? Unfathomable!
That could be a major reason why we struggle to plant churches in Soweto. 
Your prayer are greatly appreciated. You can find my weekly prayer requests at our WGET blog. 

No comments: